The first officers were President – Mrs. Irene Vendergrift, Vice President – Mrs. Lottie Rude, Secretary – Mrs. Viola Thomas, Treasurer – Minnie Knecht. The Legion Club, as we know it today, was opened in 1946. A building was rented and Everett Day was named the manager. When the Legion Club was moved to its present location, this building was owned by Bob Sanford and Lloyd Stevens, or S&S Motors. Membership has Installment Loans Halliday North Dakota grown from 62 during the first year to a high of 355 in 1983. Post members again are providing leadership roles in the department and some members are active participants in the State Legion Band, which has been a department convention musical fixture for seven decades. We are grateful to ladies in our Auxiliary unit for the marvelous cooperation and support they have given to us in serving the Rugby community.
Then in 1956 we changed our name to Francis J. Harty Post 65 in memory of Harty who was killed in action on Saipan during World War II as a member of the U.S. Harty is the only Wing area veteran killed in action as of the writing of this history. The post folded after two years and then reorganized in 1925 and operated until 1935 when it again disbanded. Then in late 1945 it reorganized as Quentin C. Roosevelt Post 65, Wing-Regan, with Albert Gray as commander, Francis Dalbec as adjutant and Clarence Kittleson as finance officer. Francis J. Harty was born in Wing, North Dakota on July 12, 1921.
Post 150 Neche Nd
He was killed in action on December 7, 1941 at Pearl Harbor. He was buried at the National Cemetery at Fort Snelling, Minnesota. Fairdale Post 267 is located in Fairdale, North Dakota, sometimes referred to as “Little Norway.” The post was chartered in 1946. Frank Robb was the first of 23 different commanders to serve in leading the post through 1994. Overbo, Edwin W.C.—Was born in Derrick, North Dakota on January 28, 1916. He served in the Asiatic-Pacific theatre of operations and was killed in action on April 23, 1944 in Dutch New Guinea. Orville donated the apples, the local Fairway Grocery Store donated the space, and the Booster Club sold them and received the money. The proceeds – $425 – were used toward the purchase of new uniforms for the Streeter School Bobcat basketball players, most of who never heard of him. In 1932, Orville and several other students formed the first basketball team at the Streeter High School, so he had more than a passing interest in the uniforms for the team.
He served overseas in France from December 15, 1917 until he died on July 18, 1918 of wounds received in combat. He was initially buried in France and later returned to the United States and reburied at Arlington National Cemetery. Among other decorations and awards he earned the Silver Star posthumously. Other events include the Legion birthday party, Veterans Day and Christmas parties. The Legion in recent years also has provided support for fireworks and other activities on the Fourth of July.
Glen Harley Peterson was born August 15, 1925, to Harold Peterson and Mathilda Peterson Hazeltine. After training at the Farragut, Idaho, Naval station, he went overseas and was assigned aboard the cruiser U.S.S. Indianapolis as a radio operator. He was killed in action July 30, 1945, when the cruiser was sunk in the Pacific. Upon determining that there were enough members to organize their own unit, the Clifford members applied for a temporary charter on January 20, 1923. The Galesburg unit then became known as the American Legion Auxiliary, an affiliate of the Galesburg American Legion’s Sigvard B. Aasen Post 210. The project was completed and dedicated during the city of Hillsboro’s 125th Anniversary. When the State of North Dakota passed the law allowing charitable gaming, Post 210 decided to take part in this program. On February 13, 1947, the first woman member of the post, Beulah Webber, was introduced by Sidney Anderson.
The building was completed in March of 1974 and a grand opening supper and dance were held. Post 179 was very proud of its new home at a total cost of $20,000. On December 22nd of the same year we had an early morning fire causing extensive damage, totaling $14,735. The Post Office had to be moved to another building until repairs were made. It was moved back into the facility on February 28, 1975.
Winnipeg Post Cn3
The post has hosted the North Dakota American Legion State Bowling Tournament a few times. The post also hosted the Class B American Legion Baseball Tournament, the Junior Rifle State Tournament and the Youth Hockey State Tournament. Mrs. Lillian Hoime, Pollock, SD, and Mrs. Rebecca France, Mesa, AZ, are the only living spouses whose husbands were World War I veterans. On the state and local levels, the post obtained petition signatures to restore the Veterans Post-War Trust Fund.
Some older members leave for the winter months, which was the activity season for the Post. Of the 39 paid-up 1986 members in the Post, 37 are PUFL members who have transferred to neighboring Posts. Another member has transferred to a neighboring Post, and other ’86 member is now deceased. Memorial Day is always observed with a guest speaker, color guard, firing squad, Taps and a dinner by the Legion’s Auxiliary. Henry Biffart was born in Wargaski, Russia on November 10, 1896. He served overseas in France from July 31, 1918 until he was killed in action on November 11, 1918. He was buried at the American Cemetery Thiaucourt, Meurthe-et-Moselle, France. Today, Langdon Legionnaires can be proud of their accomplishments over the years and can, with pride, look forward to Post 98 serving the community well in the future. We celebrated our national bicentennial by enrolling an all-time high of 286 members in Post 97.
Over that 66-year period, Post 2 teams have left enviable records for local, state, regional and national competitors to seek for themselves. On top of that, one of its alums holds professional baseball’s most coveted honors. That’s home run king Roger Maris, whose exploits are summarized elsewhere in this Legion history. Maris wasn’t known for flamboyant conversation for public record, but he frequently credited his baseball knowledge and savvy with the experience he gained playing Legion baseball. The first state convention was held in Bismarck Oct. 16-17, 1919. Dawson of Beach was elected the first department commander. Jack Williams was elected department adjutant and William Stern, the department sergeant-at-arms, both of Fargo.
Despite adverse weather, 160 people paid a 25-cent admission to observe the event. Some recommendations led to improving conditions at the bottom of the slide. The post used to send at least two boys every year when there were more students in our school. Now there aren’t always any boys in the junior class to send to Boys State. The main auditorium of the building measures approximately 80 by 60 feet. The height of the building from the ground to the peak of the rounding roof is 30 feet.
He served overseas from June 21, 1918 until November 6, 1918 when he was Killed in Action. The Post also helps support Pee Wee, Little League and girls softball. Many trophies have been won by the Post team in 1961 and are still a topic of conversation. Boys from several towns in Sargent County play on the teams sponsored by the Cogswell Legion post. The Williston American Legion Auxiliary had its beginning in 1919 when the Legion’s first national convention November in Minneapolis passed an act establishing a women’s Auxiliary.
The High School Junior and Senior Class banquet in early May. The Scouts are the only groups to meet without a donation. The Farmers Elevator Co. and the Cooperative Oil Co. have their annual meeting and dinner for their customers during the summer. Three Townships surrounding Walhalla hold the Primary and General Elections in the Legion building.
He enlisted in the North Dakota National Guard at Grafton, North Dakota on Jul 27, 917. He served overseas from December 15, 1917 until he died on October 7, 1918 of wounds received in combat. He was initially buried in France and was reburied at Hydepark, Pembina county, North Dakota. Patrick John McAndrews was born at Cavalier, North Dakota on May 22, 1895. He served overseas from June 20, 1918 until he was killed in action on November 7, 1918. His remains were returned to the United States on October 17, 1921 and he was then reburied at Neche, North Dakota. The Olson-Lovaas-Sad Post 149, initially the Olson-Stubstad 149, received its initial national organizational charter on January 22, 1920. The Post reorganized as the Olson-Lovaas Post 149 and received its second national charter on September 24, 1946. The Post submitted an amendment to its Post name and on April 25, 1979 and became the Olson-Lovaas-Sad Post 149.
The post then authorized the purchase of text books for school children. This was a major contribution because, at that time in Hankinson, the custom was for parents of children in school to buy the needed books. With the return of World War II veterans, the first transition to post leadership by new ex-servicemen began at the March 3, 1946, post elections. Jerome Hipp was elected commander and Ross Green was elected adjutant.
Mrs. Paul Kurtz was Fifth District president and also a delegate to the national convention in Miami, FL, and Mrs. May Berkholz was Fifth District committeewoman. Russell E. Dolan was born at St. John, North Dakota on May 16, 1923. He entered the United States Army at Seattle, Washington on June 5, 1944. Bernard J. Carey was born at St. John, North Dakota on June 4, 1925. He entered the United States Marine Corps at Minneapolis, Minnesota on March 15, 1943. He served in the Asiatic-Pacific theatre and was killed in action on July 21, 1944 in Guam. He is buried at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu, Hawaii. Our Legion Auxiliary unit was organized December 10, 1924. It was duly accepted into the organization by national and state July 8, 1925, and its charter was signed by the national president at Indianapolis, Indiana. At this time, there remains one living charter member, Addy Dyste, Churchs Ferry, ND.
- Funds were raised to furnish and equip this area, and it has been the headquarters of the Legion and the Auxiliary since that time.
- Several years after WW II, the post moved into a building given to it by the city of Maddock.
- Meanwhile, this option is available for those who have a good credit history.
- He was inducted at Cavalier, North Dakota on September 22, 1917.
- This structure served as the post home and provided the best club facilities in the state for many years.
During WW II the post membership bought a school house and moved it to Walhalla. This proved too small so the post sold it and bought two other old adjacent buildings. Post Office, the Postal Department rented one of the Legion buildings. At the same time the School District was reorganized and did not have the extra rooms needed so, while more rooms were built, the School District rented the other building. A local man held a mortgage on the Legion building, and because of mishandling of post funds by some members, he was forced to foreclose in 1936. He then sold the building to the Walhalla Lutheran Congregation to be used as its church. Monday evening, Oct. 13, 1919, marked the organization of a post of The American Legion in Walhalla, ND. One preliminary meeting had been held but little had been done except to apply for a charter. Upon its arrival the next meeting was called to perfect the organization.
Once the registration process is complete, a representative will call you to take you through the security process. Read about the lender’s minimum requirement for a loan to learn what to expect. Different lenders have varying eligibility and documentation requirements. In any case, these are the standard requirements for installment loan lenders in North Dakota. While some of https://cashnetusa.biz/ these prerequisites appear intimidating, you might be able to apply for an installment loan successfully. Make sure you are well-prepared and that you hit all the loan requirements before you apply. If you don’t feel comfortable with a particular lender, it might be a good idea to consider your alternatives. The next reason is similar to the first, but it concerns our health.
Records indicate that Beach was the fifth post organized but, by error, a new post at Casselton had been assigned the number 5 and Beach the number 15. This was corrected in August 1919, and Harley Salzman Post 5 became the official name, finally. There were 26 names on the application for charter and the sum of $20.80, or 80 cents dues per member, was submitted to state headquarters along with the application for charter. Newspaper reports stated that had it not rained the day of the meeting, 50 members probably would have been enrolled.
On January 20, 1958, Post 255 was the recipient of the Special Certificate of Most Distinguished Service for enrolling a 1958 membership by November 11, 1957, exceeding its total 1957 enrollment. On March 1, 1950, Post 255 was the recipient of the Distinguished Service Citation for having, on November 30, 1949, an advance 1950 membership surpassing its four-year average. On February 24, 1950, Post 255 was the recipient of the Honor Ribbon ‘50 for attaining 1950 enrollment on or before December 31, 1949, exceeding the Post’s total membership for last year. On February 26, 1947, Post 253 was the recipient of the Certificate of Distinguished Service from National Headquarters in recognition of outstanding membership work. On January 28, 1936, Post 253 was the recipient of the Post’s Certificate of Meritorious Service Seal from National Headquarters for outstanding and early membership renewal work. Joseph Young Hawk was born at Fort Berthold, North Dakota on December 15, 1893.
Leif was a businessman who allowed the post to meet in the basement of his store and often paid dues for members who were unable to afford them. Carl Bostrom, Jr. listed in the book who was born at Cooperstown, North Dakota on October 1, 1897. He served overseas from March 30, 1918 until he died on February 3, 1919 at Mesves Hospital Center in France. He is buried at the American Cemetery, Thiaucourt, Meurthe-et-Moselle, France. Many people have stated that the presentation and work of these young women give them the shivers and a true feeling of patriotism, which is something that is often missing in our country. The Edinburg Color Guard gets the people’s attention and makes them more aware of how they should act when the National Anthem is played and the colors are presented in a ceremony or marched by in a parade. After WW II, our top membership of 74 was reached in 1946. Our 1994 membership was 48, which includes veterans from Moorhead, MN; Fargo, West Fargo, Hope and Buffalo, ND; Texas and Washington, as well as Page. First officers elected for Morton-Reger Post 154 of Page were Post Commander Herbert F. “Bert” Doyle, Vice-Commander Carl Ritter, Adjutant Ralph Tenney, Finance Officer James Parker, Historian Russell Woodward and Chaplain Earl Parker.
The Post reorganized and the Post received its second national organizational charter on December 26, 1930. The L. C. Jensen Post 99 received its national organizational charter on November 24, 1919. Legion meetings were held once a month upstairs over the old Fire Hall building located near the present-day Fire Hall and auditor’s office. During the year 1957, a school house was purchased from the Lorna, ND area and moved to its present location on Second Street in Langdon. The building was placed on a new block basement previously built. Remodeling projects over the years neatly improved the inside of the school building into a nice Legion meeting place.
In Citation Orders 6, General Headquarters, AEF, France, dated June 3, 1919, he was cited for gallantry in action and for leadership of his squad. The Auxiliary has assisted the post in celebrating and observing Memorial Day, Veterans Day and The American Legion’s birthday in March. The post conducts a flagpole project, in which the deceased veteran’s flag is donated to the post. We then fly the flags on Memorial Day, 4th of July, Wing Community Day and Veterans Day if the weather permits. The post was instrumental in supporting a successful four-mill memorial levy in Burleigh County in 1955. The levy resuited in the Wing Memorial Auditorium with the help of Linden School District 28.
Thus the Legion has truly been a “full service” organization to the community. The regular meetings of the post were held in the Turtle Lake City Hall until 1955, when an extensive building project was undertaken by the post and a building was constructed. It contains a club room and a large auditorium, which has been used for many public functions as well as district Legion meetings. Since the organization of the post, the Legion has been one of the most active of all organizations in the community.